blog 4
During the lab this week, we began our new section about space. We first took a short quiz, but asked questions like why the faces of the moon, why lunar eclipse occurs, and reasoning behind seasons. In groups, we then began to use models and research our findings behind these reasonings. During the activity, there was a large bright light illuminated the room which represented the sun. Each group was given a globe and a Styrofoam ball representing the moon. Then we had to move the moon around the Earth to see why and how the moon phases occur—after activity with Grant, talking about diseases and how they appear. I found out that the sun's proximity doesn’t affect the seasons the way originally thought. It’s her out though with the sun from there. It’s usually somewhere where I live. We also began discussing the earth's equinox and solstice which helped explain the seasons more.
In the discussion, we were able to find out the percentage of answers That we took during the lab. We talked more in-depth about the reasoning behind the moon phases and weather. More specifically we’ve talked about the Earth's orbit around the sun's shape and its effect on the Earth. The professor talked about different misconceptions people have like how seasons occur because the sun is closer or farther from the Earth. Lastly, we talked about an interesting fact about women and their connection to the moon.
1. What did you learn? - Something that I learned from this week's reading was that everyone on Earth is in the same phase of the moon on the same day. I always thought that no matter where you were on Earth, the moon would look different.
2. What was most helpful? - The definition of a solar eclipse within the text helped me gain a better understanding of what it is. It was also helpful to learn that a solar eclipse always occurs during a new moon.
3. What do you need more information on? - I am curious and would like to learn more about the equinoxes and solstices. More specifically I want to know about the dates that these take effect and whether they have changed drastically over the years or not.
4. What questions/concerns/comments do you have? - I think it’s interesting that the seasons are related to the Earth's tilt rather than the sun's proximity.
Comments
Post a Comment